Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Hurting's Holiday Gift Guide, Part Three

(Not merely an excuse for me to put up quick links for you to buy
stuff on Amazon through my site, although that never hurts.)



We Tell Ourselves Stories In Order to Live
By Joan Didion


I’d be a liar if I were to tell you that Didion isn't occasionally an infuriating writer. Sometimes her work, especially her later essays, can feel a bit disconnected -- she is very much a product of her socio-economic environment, and as much as she may deny it she cannot escape the fact that she is petit bourgeois. (She named her daughter Quintana Roo, for the love of God.) But her prose remains singularly powerful, for all that. This volume collects, I think, her first five books -- certainly some of the most important American non-fiction of recent decades, in a sturdy keepsake volume for the ages. I admit I haven't made my way through its entirety yet, but it's not going anywhere.










Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vols. 1-3



No comments :