Sunday, June 05, 2005

Oh, The Humanity


Lots of "news" out of Wizard World Phillie for the nerderatti to get excited about. Hell, even I'll admit to being happy about those Showcase Presents books. But a couple items in the Marvel news caught my eye. A couple items that might just signal the death-knell of Marvel comics as we know it.

First, you have this cover, for The Pulse #11:






Nice cover, right? Great, expressive features on all the characters, especially Jessica Jones. Jumps off the racks right at you. Except for one detail:







Yes, that's Professional Bad-Ass, Mr. Fan Fave Wolverine, with the world's dopiest look on his face. Somehow, Wolverine was perennially popular for all those years when they had spastic gorillas writing his adentures -- I have a feeling that this one image shall represent the end of Wolverine as we know him. You thought Kitty Pride as a ninja tarnished Marvel's cash cow, wait until this image circles the internet a few dozen times...


And as if that weren't bad enough, during the J. Michael Straczynski panel, the following words were uttered -- which have forever seared themselves onto my memory -- which once spoken can never be unsaid:
Along the same theme, Straczynski said that coming up in Amazing Spider-Man, Aunt May and Jarvis’ relationship moves to the next level, much to Peter’s dismay.
Let me repeat, for emphasis:

Aunt May and Jarvis’ relationship moves to the next level

Aunt May and Jarvis’ relationship moves to the next level


Aunt May and Jarvis’ relationship
moves to the next level


I don't know whether to laugh or cry - but I think I'll mostly be laughing when they wonder why all the kids at the 7/11 aren't falling all over themselves to buy the geriatric sex book.

Man, I never thought I'd ever see the day where geriatric sex was used as a marketing ploy by Marvel comics...

Eros, maybe.

Marvel, I can't say I saw that one coming at all.

No comments :