Wednesday, April 27, 2005

A Brief Apology


I must confess that the issue of my fourth formalism essay has been weighing heavily on me lately. When I took it down it really wasn't out of pique or anything like that - I just figured out very quickly because of the conversations in the Comments that I had not only not really said what I had initially wanted to say, but I had said it in such a disingenuous and confusing way that I had succeeded in not only obscuring my point but implying a number of things I had no desire to imply. It was a sloppy essay, and I wanted to redo it.

But then things happened... msot of which involved me, as always, never having enough time in any given day to do the amount of work I need to do. The rewriting on the essay turned into a long, drawn out thing and it occurred to me that my silence on the issue might be taken by some as sulking. Well, in all seriousness, I was really just dissatisfied with my inability to communicate myself properly on this issue, because looking over it again it was just not a very good piece. I've had a lot of stuff on the burner lately and oftentimes this blog gets put at the bottom of the pile. It seems there are always folks quitting blogging or cutting back drastically because of circumstances - but if you've followed this one for any amount of time you know I definitely go through phases when I am more prolific than others. This is just a less-prolific phase, is all.

So: the Collaboration essay isn't dead. It was simply a bad essay, filled with sloppy reasoning and some truly egregious bits of synecdochical thinking - mistaking the spandrel for the arch. I am eager to revisit the topic when I can put my thoughts on the subject into more coherent form - turns out I really wasn't talking about collaboration anyway, that's just a symptom of what I actually wanted to talk about. I was over in left field or something... I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I'll try to keep the horse-shit down to a dull roar, OK?

No comments :